We love it.
We crave it.
But what do you PAY for it?
So many times when people are looking to cut back the first thing ‘experts’ say to cut back on is that coffee. It is true. At a conservative price point of $1.65 for a small java, the coffee adds up quick! But you are a great penny pincher. You got a KEURIG for Christmas and you are going to MAKE YOUR OWN coffee in the morning.
You are awesome!
You are responsible with your money.
You are going to now spend $.687 per cup of coffee with your fancy new Keurig!
You are going to save the world!
How did I come up with that magic number?
For this penny pinching exercise I am assuming that you are buying Green Mountain Coffee (Columbian Fair Trade Select) in a K cup from the Keurig website in the 24 count pack and you paid full price of $16.49 and you some how got free shipping.
That breaks down to $.687 and some small change per K cup. Not bad! That sure beats your $1.65 cup of Joe that you bought yesterday.
OK. That number doesn’t account for milk that you may put in your coffee but we are just going to assume you are going to drink your coffee black for this exersize.
But you heard that Keurig makes a REFILLABLE K-cup!
I can use my favorite coffee from my local coffee shop? How awesome is that!? Now you can pinch pennies, support your local coffee shop, AND get your coffee all at the same time!
You are soooooo going to do that!
But what is the cost breakdown? I am here to break it all down for you!
Let’s assume the following:
- You already own a Keurg and the My K-Cup.
- You are willing to bite the penny and give up the convenience of not having a pre filled K-cup.
- You are going to drink your coffee straight, black and unsweetened.
- Your local coffee shop charges $7.50 per pound for coffee. (this number will vary from shop to shop)
- You fill your My-K cup to the same ounces of grounds per K-cup (I estimate to be .342 oz or 9.7 grams or about 2 teaspoons per cup.)
- You don’t charge yourself for the time you use to fill the My K-cup, put water in the machine or clean the machine. (In other words your time is FREE!)
With all these factors assumed you will get from 1 lb of coffee:
46 fillings for your My K-cup = $.16 per cup!!
So what do you drink?
- Coffee shop coffee = $1.65
- K-cup from Keurig = $.68
- My K cup filled by you with your favorite blend = $.16
- Coffee shop: 79 cups and you are back in the black
- K Cup from Keurig : 227 cups and you are in the black
I believe everyone should shop and support local businesses when ever possible.
Here is a section of their mission statement taken from their website:
Our aim is to provide an upscale and eco-friendly café where patrons can enjoy a gourmet cup of coffee served by experienced and friendly employees devoted to customer service and satisfaction.
How do you pinch pennies when it comes to your coffee?Pin It