The chicken have been not slacking on laying gas this summer. Either it hasn’t been as hot, they are used to the heat or I have been keeping their waterer better filled this year. I am sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. What ever the reason we are a little overrun with eggs at the moment. So in attempts to use them up and have breakfast several times this week I share with you:
- 1 large onion, diced
- 16 slices white bread (or wheat or multi grain…what ever you like)
- 1 lb lean bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 small can diced chilies
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T. dill
- 1 large tomato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 c milk
- 12 eggs
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- Sauté onions and chili’s in butter over medium heat until tender.
- Place 8 slices of bread in a 9×13 pan.
- Crumble the bacon, peel and slice a fresh tomato.
- Layer ½ onions, bacon, and chilies on top of the bread and finish with ½ the cheese.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Repeat layer but add tomato slices before the cheese.
- Thoroughly mix eggs, milk, dill and mustard. pour over casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- Before baking allow the casserole to stand at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes or until souffle-like. Remove from oven and cool five minutes before slicing.
- Leftovers may be frozen and reheated in the microwave.
Oh yummy. Fluffy, eggy bread. Crispy ,salty bacon. Garden fresh tomato. All I need now is a cold glass of orange juice.
What is your go to breakfast during the week?
Casserole that can be reheated?
How about just cold cereal?
Bagel and cream cheese?
Leave me a comment to let me know. I am always looking for fresh recipe ideas!Pin It